Nathan Zasler MD is Founder, CEO & Medical Director of Concussion Care Centre of Virginia, Ltd., as well as Tree of Life Services, Inc. Dr. Zasler is board certified in PM&R, fellowship trained in brain injury and subspecialty certified in Brain Injury Medicine. He is an affiliate professor in the VCU Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Richmond, VA, and an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. He is Chairperson Emeritus of IBIA and currently serves as Vice-Chairperson. He has published close to 200 peer reviewed articles and authored over 60 book chapters.
Dr. Zasler has published and lectured extensively on TBI related neuromedical issues and edited 8 textbooks including “Brain Injury Medicine: Principals and Practice” now going into its third edition. He is co-chief editor of two international peer reviewed journals: “Brain Injury”, and “NeuroRehabilitation” as well as chief editor of “Brain Injury Professional”.
Dr. Zasler serves on over 10 international journal editorial boards. He is active in local, national and international organizations dealing with acquired brain injury and neurodisability, serving or having served in numerous consultant and board member roles. He has received numerous awards, been repeatedly recognized by “Best Doctors.” and has also received numerous community patient awards for his clinical services. Dr. Zasler is an advocate, educator, clinical researcher, inventor, entrepreneur and busy practicing clinician who is involved with community-based neurorehabilitation, chronic pain management, and health care consultation, both clinical and medicolegal.
- Moreno A, Laoch A, Zasler ND. Improving transdisciplinary neurorehabilitation in LGBTQIA+ people with neurodisabilities: a systematic review. Neuro- Rehabilitation. 41(2):375-394. 2017.
- Zasler N, Ashley M. Post-acute rehabilitation: Edifying efficacy evidence. Brain Injury Professional. 15(1):8-11, 2018.
- DiSanto D, Kumar R, Juengst SB, Hart T, O’Neil-Pirozzi TM, Zasler N, Novack TA, Dillahunt-Aspillaga C, Graham KM, Cotner BA, Rabinowitz A, Dikmen S, Niemeier J, Kesinger MR, Wagner AK. Characterizing factors related to employment stability in the first 5 years after moderate to severe traumatic brain injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. S0003-9993(18)30461-1, 2018.
- Zasler N, Kreutzer J, Arienti C, Oral A. The Cochrane Corners in NeuroRehabilitation: A Cochrane Rehabilitation initiative. Neuro-Rehabilitation. 43(2):111-112, 2018.
- Molteni E, Slomine B, Castelli E, Zasler ND, Schnakers C, Estraneo. International Survey on diagnostic and prognostic procedures in pediatric disorders of consciousness. Report of the International Brain Injury Association, Disorders of Consciousness Special Interest Group. IPBIS. Brain Injury. 33(4): 517-528.2019.
- Zasler N, Bender S. Validity assessment in traumatic brain injury impairment and disability evaluations. Medical Impairment and Disability Evaluation and Associated Medicolegal Issues. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics. 30(3): 621–636, 2019.
- Zasler N. Limiting expert evaluations in TBI cases is unwise. Endorsed letter to editor. Virginia Medical Law Report. 16(3):3-11, 2019.
- Formisano R, Giustini M, Aloisi M, Contrada M, Schnakers C, Zasler N, Estraneo A. An international survey on diagnostic and prognostic protocols in patients with disorders of consciousness. Brain Injury. 30:1-11, 2019.
- Zasler ND, Formisano R, Aloisia M, Contrada M. A Quarter Century History of Disorders of Consciousness Terminology: Evolution or Revolution? Brain Injury. 33(13-14):1684-1689, 2019.
- Zasler N, Haider MN, Grzibowski NR, Leddy JJ. Physician medical assessment in a multidisciplinary concussion clinic. JHTR. 409-418, 2019.
- Malone C, Erler KS, Giacino JT, Hammond FM, Juengst SB, Locascio JJ, Nakase-Richardson R, Verduzco-Gutierrez M, Whyte J, Zasler N, Bodien YG. Participation Following Inpatient Rehabilitation for Traumatic Disorders of Consciousness: A TBI Model Systems Study. Front Neurol.10:1314, 2019.
- Giacino JT, Whyte J, Nakase-Richardson R, Katz DI, Arciniegas DB, Blum S, Day K, Greenwald BD, Hammond FM, Pape TB, Rosenbaum A, Seel RT, Weintraub, Yablon S, Zafonte RD, Zasler N. Minimum Competency Recommendations for Programs that Provide Rehabilitation Services for Persons with Disorders of Consciousness: A Position Statement of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine and the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 101:1072-1089, 2020
- Pape TB, Zasler ND. Provider competencies for disorders of consciousness: Minimum competency recommendations proposed by the ACRM-NIDILRR workgroup. The Challenge. 2020; 14(3):19-30.
- Formisano R, Zasler N. Discontinuation of artificial nutrition and hydration and covert cognition. Brain Injury. 34(8):1135, 2020.
- Estraneo A, Fiorenza S, Magliacano A, Zasler N, Schnaker C, Torojano L. Multicenter prospective study on predictors for short-term outcome in disorders of consciousness. Neurology. 95(11):e1488-e1499, 2020.
- Pape TB, Zasler ND. Provider competencies for disorders of consciousness: minimum competency recommendations proposed by the ACRM-NIDILRR workgroup. Brain Injury Professional. 17(2):28, 2020.
- Zasler ND. Neurogenic pain disorders. NeuroRehabilitation. 47(3):251-252, 2020.
- Dwyer B, Zasler N. Post-traumatic cephalalgia. NeuroRehabilitation. 47(3):327-342, 2020.
- Hammond F, Perkins SM, Corrigan J, Zasler N, Greenwald BD. Functional change from 5 to 15 years following traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 38(7):858-869, 2021.
- Silverberg ND, Iverson GL, ACRM Mild TBI Definition Expert Consensus Group, ACRM Brain Injury Special Interest Group Mild TBI Task Force. Expert panel. Survey to update the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine definition of mild traumatic brain injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 102(1):76-86, 2021.
- Tenovuo O, Diaz-Arrastia R, Goldstein LE, Sharp DJ, van der Naalt J, Zasler ND. Assessing the severity of traumatic brain injury: Time for a change? Journal of Clinical Medicine. 10:148, 2021.
- Siponkoski, ST, Koskinen S, Laitinen S, Zasler N, Rantanen P, Lipsanen J, Sarkamo T. Effects of neurological music therapy on behavioral and emotional recovery after traumatic brain injury: a randomized controlled trial. Neuropsychol Rehabil. 13;1-33, 2021.
- Lejeune N, Zasler N, Formisano R, Estraneo A, Bodart O, Magee WL, Thibaut A. Epilepsy in prolonged disorders of consciousness: a systematic review. Brain Injury. 10;35(12-13):1485-1495, 2021.
- Zasler ND (endorser). Shewmon DA. Statement in support of revising the Uniform Determination of Death Act and in opposition to a proposed revision. The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy. May 14, 2021. e-pub ahead of print.
- Estraneo A, Magliacano A, Fiorenza S, Formisano R, Zasler N, Schnakers C, Trojano L. Risk factors for 2-year mortality in patients with prolonged disorders of consciousness: An international, multicenter study. Eur J Neurol. 29(2):390-399, 2022.
- Briand MM, Lejeune N, Zasler, N, Formisano R, Bodart O, et al. Management of epilepsy in disorders of consciousness: An International Survey. Front Neurol. 11;12: 799579, 2022.
- Zasler ND, Formisano R, Aloisi M. Pain in persons with disorders of consciousness. Brain Sciences. 12:300, 2022.
- Fiorenza S., Trojano L., Magliacano A., Formisano R., Zasler N., Schnakers C., Estraneo A. Multi-center international study on clinical and electrophysiological predictors for clinical evolution in disorders of consciousness. Submitted for publication.
- Maurer-Karattup P, Zasler N, Thibaut A, et al. Neurorehabilitation for people with disorders of consciousness: an international survey of health-care structures and access to treatment (Part 1). Brain Injury. 16:1-10, 2022. On line ahead of print.
- Seel RT, Bodien Y, Day K, Doiron M, Giacino JT, Greenwald B, Holcomb E, Katz DI, Kowalski R, Nakase-Richardson R, Norelli J, Weintraub A, Zasler N. Prognosis for people with disorders of consciousness: Evidence-based recommendations. In preparation.
- Williams, S., Zasler, N.D. Chemosensory impairment after traumatic brain injury. In: Neurotrauma. Editor: K. Wang. Oxford University Press. New York. 145-156, 2018.
- Zasler ND, Martelli M, Jordan B. Civilian post-concussive headache. In: Textbook of concussion and traumatic encephalopathy. Editors J Victoroff, E. Bigler. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge. Pgs. 728-742, 2019.
- Zasler ND, Bender S. Validity assessment in traumatic brain injury impairment and disability evaluations. In: Medicolegal impairment and disability evaluation and associated medical legal issues. PM&R Clinics of North America. Editor: R. Rondinelli and M. Eskay-Auerbach. Elsevier. Philadelphia, PA. 621-636, 2019.
- Zasler ND, Etheredge S. Post-concussive headache. In: B Eapen and D Cifu (Eds.). Concussion: Assessment, management and rehabilitation. Elsevier. New York, New York. Pgs.59-75, 2019.
- Zasler, N.D., Leddy, J.J., Etheredge, S., Martelli, M.F. Post-traumatic headache.. In: J.M. Silver, T.W. McAllister, D. Arciniegas (Eds.): “Textbook of Traumatic Brain Injury”, 3rd American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. 471-490, 2019.
- Zasler, N.D., Pain management in persons with traumatic brain injury. In: F. Zollman (3rd Ed.). Management of Traumatic Brain Injury. Demos Medical. New York. 2021.
- Zasler, N.D., Confounding Factors in PCD. In: F. Zollman (3rd Ed.). Management of Traumatic Brain Injury. Demos Medical. New York. 2021.
- Katz DI, Zasler ND, Zafonte RD. Systems of care and natural history of traumatic brain injury. Zasler ND, Katz. D, Zafonte R (eds): Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice. Third Edition. Demos Publishers. New York, NY. Pgs.2-13, 2021.
- Iverson GL, Silverberg ND, Zasler ND. Mild traumatic brain injury. Zasler ND, Katz D, Zafonte R (eds): Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice. Third Edition. Demos Publishers. New York, NY. Pgs. 414-424, 2021.
- Zasler ND, Martelli MF, Clanton ST. Posttraumatic pain disorders: medical assessment and management. Zasler ND, Katz D, Zafonte R (eds): Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice. Third Edition. Demos Publishers. New York, NY. Pgs. 885-909, 2021.
- Martelli MF, Zasler ND, Bender MC. Biopsychosocial assessment and management of posttraumatic pain. Zasler ND, Katz D, Zafonte R (eds): Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice. Third Edition. Demos Publishers. New York, NY. Pgs. 910 – 931, 2021.
- Zasler ND, Ameis A, Martelli MF, Bush S. Clinicolegal issues. Zasler ND, Katz D, Zafonte R (eds): Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice. Third Edition. Demos Publishers. New York, NY. Pgs. 1293 – 1317, 2021.
- Martelli MF, Zasler ND. Resources for persons with traumatic brain injury and their caregivers. Zasler ND, Katz D, Zafonte R (eds): Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice. Third Edition. Demos Publishers. New York, NY. Chapter 90 (e-book), 2021.
Ready to learn more? Speak to a care
coordinator today and take the next step.